what is new in urban planning & urban design ?

هدیه.

مدیر تالار مهندسی شهرسازی
مدیر تالار
در این تاپیک به منظور آشنایی با اتفاقات جدید در زمینه شهرسازی و مدیریت شهری جدید ترین مطالب شهرسازی با زبان انگلیسی گذاشته میشه . همه ما میدونیم که یک نکته مهم برای دستیابی به علم روز تسلط به زبان انگلیسیه و حتی اگر بتونیم تا حدودی متنی رو که میخونیم درک کنیم باز هم کمک خیلی زیادی به پیشرفتمون و بالا بردن سطح اطلاعات تخصصی مون میکنه . مطالبی که اینجا گذاشته میشه در زمینه برنامه ریزی شهری ، طراحی شهری و مدیریت شهریه و بیشتر حالت خبری و هم اندیشی دارند و متن روان و ساده ای هم دارند .

:warn:امیدوارم حتی اگر براتون مشکله اما یه نگاه کوتاه به اینجا بندازید تا هم به تقویت زبانتون کمک کنید و هم از مطالب و اتفاقات روز شهرسازی در جهان مطلع باشید :warn:

هدیه.

مدیر تالار
How Tall is Too Tall?

How Tall is Too Tall?

What is the best height to promote good urban living? It needs to be high to attain necessary density but not so high that it detracts from the quality of life, particularly for existing residents. In short, what is the Goldilocks height level?

Are residential high rises good for the urban environment?Lloyd alter, Toronto resident and managing editor of treeHugger, answers that question in The Guardian's " Live better Challenge" that focuses on sustainable living, He asserts that "(t)he trend for elite towers that reach ever skywards isn't healthy for a sustainable community or for a balanced quality of life. "

There is no question that high urban densities are important, but the question is how high, and in what form. There is what I have called the Goldilocks density: dense enough to support vibrant main streets with retail and services for local needs, but not too high that people can't take the stairs in a pinch. Dense enough to support bike and transit infrastructure, but not so dense to need subways and huge underground parking garages. Dense enough to build a sense of community, but not so dense as to have everyone slip into anonymity.
In Manhattan, Alter would find many in agreement about the obtrusiveness of what they call "supertowers" reports NPR's New York City correspondent, Margot Adler, on the opposition movment to the One57 building and the shadows it will cast over Central Park, though they have their defenders.

"The shadows cast by tall, slender buildings, which is what most of the buildings going up are, are very brief — maybe they're 10 minutes in any one place — and cause no negative effect on the flora or fauna of the park," said Gary Barnett, president of Extell Development.

Back to our Treehugger editor, Lloyd Alter, an architect, environmentalist and a "heritage activist" residing in Toronto. On his world list of supertowers, he points to the "knocking down (of) four designated heritage buildings to build three 85-storey Ferank gehri towers." While he doesn't write much about them, I suspect they may be the root of his column.
Fortunately, he includes a link to a local architectural review of the project, even if it is a flattering one, designed by the world-famous Gehry, a Toronto native. [Also see a post here on the project : "Toronto Asks Gehry to Back to Drawing Board"

آخرین ویرایش:

هدیه.

مدیر تالار
Policy First; Then Technology

Policy First; Then Technology

Civic leaders chime in on how policy should guide technology and smart cities initiatives.

Adie Tomer and Rob Puentes from the Brookings Institution's Metropolitan Policy Program blog about their latest Brookings Institution's report ".Smarter About Smart CititesGetting" The report summarizes key ideas from North American and European civic leaders who gathered during a two-day workshop to brainstorm how cities should guide technology to achieve their vision.
Per Tomer and Puentes, "By focusing on the cutting-edge technologies themselves and relying on private companies to move forward...we have lost sight of what we even want our c ities to achieve with all that tech."
While commercials have romanticized the notion of smart cities, the co-authors provide realistic and grounded recommendations from the two-day workshop: 1) creating a city business plan that incorporates smart technology; 2) promoting technology that increases productivity, is inclusive and resilient; 3) restructuring and creating technology leadership within the city; 4) working with appropriately scaled projects; and 5) formalizing "city-level networks" with regard to smart cities and smart technology.

هدیه.

مدیر تالار
Should I do a PhD in Planning?

Should I do a PhD in Planning?

پیشنهاد میکنم حتما بخونین ، نکاتی که شاید این روزها ما در تصمیم گیری برای ادامه تحصیل کمتر بهشون توجه میکنیم ...

In coming weeks doctoral applications in planning are due. Why apply?

For professional planners, a PhD sometimes sounds interesting compared with doing a regular job in a municipality. Some designers remember studio professors who seemed to float into class, unprepared, for a few hours per week. Compared with the ups and downs of private design practice, this can seem quite appealing. Of course, some people genuinely like studying and research, want to make a contribution in that area, and have a flair for teaching.
But is it for you? Maybe not.
While it looks as if academics work only a few hours per week, and some notoriously do, for the vast majority of faculty members this is a full-time calling requiring one work many, many hours per week. Time studies of academics show a lot of this is administration of various sorts. Research, far from being glamorous, is mostly pretty mundane; the other part is difficult.
While many people doing PhDs don't become faculty members, but move into other positions, it is important to consider whether the PhD is really needed for such work. Might a second masters degree, say in statistics or public health, equip you as well and at a more modest opportunity cost? You may better paid as well!

It isn't a way to avoid the world of practical work either.
Dr. Jennifer Dill from Portland State has good advice at: http://web.pdx.edu/~jdill/resources.php

"I encourage all prospective PhD students to think about and clearly articulate why they want to pursue a PhD. Too often I encounter masters students who really enjoy the topics they are studying and want to continue doing so and thus enter a PhD program. Simply wanting to continue learning about a topic isn't enough for pursuing a PhD. I also generally recommend that in the field of planning, students get some professional experience before pursuing the PhD."
In the past it may have been be possible to find a teaching job without planning work experience. These days most programs want people with advanced research skills who can also teach basic planning workshops and studios or do outreach in communities. Those without such skills and experiences are passed over--with a few exceptions typically limited to highly specialized, technical sub-fields.

So, overall, you have to really like research and teaching and be prepared to pay some opportunity costs. I have a PhD but obviously don't recommend it for everyone.
If you are still interested after reading this what should you do?
You should try out doing research, perhaps in your masters degree, perhaps as part of your job, or maybe as a volunteer. I have some advice aimed at students doing exit projects, but including a useful reference list, at: http://www.annforsyth.net/CRP_ForsythEssentialInfo_070710clean.pdf. Some of my blogs on exit project may also be helpful: choosing an exit option, getting started, troubleshooting common problems, managing your committee, using sources, writing a literature review, and actually finishing.
You should try teaching or public speaking, for example delivering a conference paper. Some like doing this but others don't.
You should read research in the areas that interest you, figure out where the authors are from, and identify schools with at least two potential supervisors (two because you need to be able to choose among them for good fit, plus someone will likely be on leave at some time). Look for research and not professional or journalistic work.
You should NOT necessarily email faculty members about your work. My advice is only do so if they specifically request it (on their web site or as part of the application). I respond to such letters with a standard reply because there is a general admissions process where I work and I want to allocate my time to enrolled students. However, universities differ and some faculty members like such contacts.

Overall, it is a complex decision, not an easy choice.