New technology and news (English )

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
Hi all friends

Hope you are fine and doing well
Usually we read new technology and news in English language but because it takes time for us to translate it in to Farsi we don't share it.
So I make this topic to share new technology and news that happen in Electrical Engineering world, as I mention in topic name only in English language.
It will help us to improve our technical language and our knowledge about latest technology.
I hope you like it, and help me to keep it up to date.

With regard
Sh85 :gol:

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
I found the following article informative. I copied some part of it below.

"One of GaN’s unique properties is its device physics properties, which enable it to perform in existing and new applications of wide-bandgap, high breakdown voltage, high power density, and high-gain performance. Using GaN for microwave devices provides 10 to 30 times more power and insulated gate advantages over competing technologies, such as silicon.

Although the GaN adoption rate has been slow in the RF realm, markets such as radar, military, and CATV have jumped to the forefront of using GaN. Another new opportunity in RF microwave applications beyond the high-power RF amplifiers includes RF switches used to create a more broadband switch. Using GaN technology for switches allows for low insertion loss, higher breakdown voltage, and higher-bandwidth switches. These switches can be used in automotive applications, such as hybrid vehicles, as well as solutions for energy conservation and power conversion. GaN also has received the industry’s green technology label because of its ability to provide lower product current consumption and improved thermal management while maintaining performance levels equal to or superior to competing semiconductor technologies. For example, today’s new CATV GaN-based amplifier products have lower current consumption and better linearity for improved video and data amplification compared to competing legacy technology solutions. This allows carriers to reduce the number of repeaters and driver amplifiers in their networks, further reducing the current consumption and operating costs of the overall network.

Other markets and applications are just beginning to explore GaN for new industries and devices. As with all emerging technologies, original, interesting applications continue to surface, such as the use of GaN in medical research. Recently, researchers discovered GaN is much different from other semiconductor materials in that it can be used safely in biomedical implants and it is nontoxic, which minimizes the risk to both the environment and the patient. This property alone leads scientists to believe this semiconductor material can be used for implants such as electrodes in neurostimulation therapies or for monitoring blood chemistry. Researchers also have created flexible GaN LEDs that can be implanted and used to detect various cancers, such as prostate cancer. These bio-integrated GaN devices have the potential for great innovations in the healthcare industry and hold the probability of expanding into unknown areas for GaN semiconductor designers.

Another of the largest and fastest-growing markets for GaN technology is the power management, or power conversion, industry. The advantage of using GaN in these applications is that GaN-based devices can be switched at high frequencies, well beyond current technology offerings, which means dramatic size reductions in passive components (such as transformers) and output filter components in power management and power conversion designs. Not only do GaN-based designs offer a five-time increase in switching frequencies, they also offer significant reductions of size and weight in the final product design. This reduction in weight and size generates benefits in automotive and UPS (uninterruptable power supply) applications, providing consumer benefits such as increased gas mileage in cars, increased office space, or building space in building or industrial settings."

http://www.rfglobalnet.com/doc.mvc/gan-the-technology-of-the-future-0001

ali_511

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
Programmable Resolution 1-Wire Digital Thermometer(DS18B20 sensor)

Programmable Resolution 1-Wire Digital Thermometer(DS18B20 sensor)

[h=2]Description[/h]
The DS18B20 digital thermometer provides 9-bit to 12-bit Celsius temperature measurements and has an alarm function with nonvolatile user-programmable upper and lower trigger points. The DS18B20 communicates over a 1-Wire® bus that by definition requires only one data line (and ground) for communication with a central microprocessor. It has an operating temperature range of -55°C to +125°C and is accurate to ±0.5°C over the range of -10°C to +85°C. In addition, the DS18B20 can derive power directly from the data line ("parasite power"), eliminating the need for an external power supply.

Each DS18B20 has a unique 64-bit serial code, which allows multiple DS18B20s to function on the same 1-Wire bus. Thus, it is simple to use one microprocessor to control many DS18B20s distributed over a large area. Applications that can benefit from this feature include HVAC environmental controls, temperature monitoring systems inside buildings, equipment, or machinery, and process monitoring and control systems
[h=2]Key Features[/h]
  • Unique 1-Wire Interface Requires Only One Port Pin for Communication
  • Each Device has a Unique 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM
  • Multidrop Capability Simplifies Distributed Temperature-Sensing Applications
  • Requires No External Components
  • Can Be Powered from Data Line; Power Supply Range is 3.0V to 5.5V
  • Measures Temperatures from -55°C to +125°C (-67°F to +257°F)
  • ±0.5°C Accuracy from -10°C to +85°C
  • Thermometer Resolution is User Selectable from 9 to 12 Bits
  • Converts Temperature to 12-Bit Digital Word in 750ms (Max)
  • User-Definable Nonvolatile (NV) Alarm Settings
  • Alarm Search Command Identifies and Addresses Devices Whose Temperature is Outside Programmed Limits (Temperature Alarm Condition)
  • Available in 8-Pin SO (150 mils), 8-Pin µSOP, and 3-Pin TO-92 Packages
  • Software Compatible with the DS1822
  • Applications Include Thermostatic Controls, Industrial Systems, Consumer Products, Thermometers, or Any Thermally Sensitive System

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
AGC Amplifiers Gain On 2000 MHz

A line of customizable automatic-gain-control (AGC) amplifiers from the Spectrum Microwave family of products of API Technologies Corp. are ideally suited for receiver applications through 2 GHz in military and commercial applications. The AGC amplifiers include models BXMF1037 (100 to 200 MHz), BXMF1038 (200 to 400 MHz), BXMF1039 (400 to 600 MHz), BXMF1040 (600 to 800 MHz), and BXMF1041 (800 to 1000 MHz). Two wideband units, covering 500 to 800 MHz and 1000 to 2000 MHz, are also available. The AGC amplifiers are designed to protect delicate circuit and system components from high input signal levels, over input dynamic ranges as wide as 55 dB. They maintain output level variations to ±2 dB or better, with group delay variations controlled to ±1 ns or less. Optional gain stages from 25 to 40 dB are available to suit a variety of applications. The AGC amplifiers can be customized with a time delay adjustment feature, as well as a phase modulation compression feature to accommodate for peak power variations. As an example, model BXMF1041 operates from 800 to 1000 MHz with input dynamic range of −55 to 0 dBm and nominal output power of −35 dBm. The typical 1-dB compression point is +13 dBm. The rise time is adjustable from 500 to 2000 µs. The amplifier runs on typically 125 mA at +5 VDC and is supplied in a housing measuring 3.00 x 1.50 x 0.78 in.

http://rfdesign.com/military_defense_electronics/new-products-0409/
New Products - April/May 2012

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
Worlds Smallest GPS Tracking Chip

Worlds Smallest GPS Tracking Chip

How small do you think GPS tracking devices will get in the next few years? Ra­k­on, a 39-y­e­ar-o­ld N­e­w Ze­alan­d-base­d c­o­mpan­y­, h­as de­ve­lo­pe­d t­h­e­ wo­rld’s smalle­st­ GPS re­c­e­ive­r. C­laime­d t­o­ be­ as t­in­y­ as t­h­e­ s­ize o­f­ a­ ba­by­’s­ f­in­ger­n­a­il­,
T­his tiny GPS r­ecei­v­er­ chi­p i­s sm­all eno­ugh t­o­ b­e f­i­t­t­ed i­nt­o­ dev­i­ces such as wat­ches, cellpho­nes and other devices as small as a jump drive. As GPS b­eco­m­es co­m­m­o­nplace i­n o­ur­ ev­er­yday gadget­s, we can b­e sur­e t­hat­ t­hi­ngs wi­ll get­ a li­t­t­le m­o­r­e i­nt­er­est­i­ng. Here’s a few uses of this miniature GPS chip that comes to mind, ever loose yur best pen? Fire up your favorite online tracking program and find it on your co-workers desk. How about the remote for your TV? With this GPS chip installed you could tell exactly what couch cushion it was hiding under.
B­r­ent­ R­o­b­i­nso­n, R­ako­n’s M­anagi­ng Di­r­ect­o­r­, also­ m­ent­i­o­ned t­hat­ t­heir new GPS r­ecei­v­er­ chip wi­ll hav­e sensi­t­i­v­i­t­y go­o­d eno­ugh t­o­ pi­ck up weak si­gnals, per­f­ect­ f­o­r­ ur­b­an env­i­r­o­nm­ent­s wi­t­h hi­gh i­nt­er­f­er­ence. Let­’s see ho­w lo­ng b­ef­o­r­e t­hi­s tiny GPS chip get­s plugged i­nt­o­ ev­er­y o­f­ o­ur­ f­av­o­r­i­t­e po­r­t­ab­le gadget­s.
A few limitations of this GPS chip are that it still needs a power source and a GPS antenna. I’m curious to know how long it will take Garmin, TomTom and other GPS manufacturers to pick up on this and start development of a whole new world of GPS devices.

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
What is IT? The world’s smallest RFID chip

What is IT? The world’s smallest RFID chip

These RFID chips are made by Hitachi. The ones in blue have 128 bits of ROM and can store a 38-digit number. They are billed as being the smallest RFID chips and are 64 times smaller than the tiny chip you see on the person’s finger (right). The black line you see in the middle photo is a strand of human hair. Hitachi reps have said they don’t know what they’re going to do with the tiniest chips, which are being called “RFID powder” for now. You can read more about the chips here.

Jan 17 2008 7:56PM GMT​

sh85

مدیر بازنشسته
کاربر ممتاز
[h=2]Say goodbye to your mouse and keyboard.[/h] Leap represents an entirely new way to interact with your computers. It’s more accurate than a mouse, as reliable as a keyboard and more sensitive than a touchscreen. For the first time, you can control a computer in three dimensions with your natural hand and finger movements.

This isn’t a game system that roughly maps your hand movements. The Leap technology is 200 times more accurate than anything else on the market — at any price point. Just about the size of a flash drive, the Leap can distinguish your individual fingers and track your movements down to a 1/100th of a millimeter.
This is like day one of the mouse. Except, no one needs an instruction manual for their hands.

more informaion :
https://leapmotion.com/