دانلود مکالمات ضروری در زبان انگلیسی(با راهنمای فارسی)

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Brownie points

[h=2]Downloads[/h]To take away:
Audio (2.1 MB)
Text (17 K)

[h=2]The script for this programme[/h]

William: Hello and welcome to The English we Speak, I'm William.

Feifei: And I'm Feifei. William, what are you doing with that suitcase and flowers and boxes of chocolates?

William: Oh, well I'm spending the weekend with my wife's parents so I thought I'd better get something for my mother-in-law.

Feifei: Oh I see! A weekend with the in-laws.

William: And I'm going to do a bit of decorating and gardening for them too.

Feifei: Wow, you really are trying to earn some brownie points, aren't you? William is trying to get praise and approval by doing something for them.

William: Yes, I'm trying to earn some brownie points.

Feifei:
To earn some brownie points. 'Brownie points' are badges young girls who are members of a youth organisation called 'The Brownies' earn for doing good things for others. Now we use that term generally to mean 'trying to get praise for our actions'.

William: Yes, you see I'm not sure if my mother-in-law really… likes me that much. So that's why I'm trying to earn some brownie points. Maybe she'll change her attitude towards me.

Feifei: Oh dear. Yes, maybe you'll get some approval from her.

Man: Look at Gary. He keeps offering to do extra work – even at weekends
Woman: Well he's hoping to earn a few brownie points with the bosses. There's a new position opening up and I reckon he'll apply for it.

Feifei: He's been offering to do extra work to impress his bosses. It's because there's an opportunity for a promotion coming up.

William: But to earn brownie points is more than just doing someone a favour.

Feifei: Yes, the expression means you're trying to get approval from someone. It's also quite a light-hearted and informal expression.

William: When was the last time you earned brownie points from someone, Feifei?

Feifei: Oh I don't try to get other people's approval.

William: Hmm, really? So you don't really care what people think about you?

Feifei: No, not at all. But William, you've got so much stuff with you. Are you taking the train to your in-laws' house? Can I give you a lift to the station?

William: Oh thanks! That's really kind of you, Feifei. I was beginning to think you were a bit selfish but now I can see you're quite generous. Ah, I understand!

Feifei: Yes, I'm trying to earn some brownie points!

William: Well, you succeeded! Goodbye!

Feifei: Bye!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Hullabaloo

Audio (3 MB)
Text (31 K)

Li: Hello everyone. My name is Yang Li and this is The English We Speak.
William: Hi there. I'm William Kremer.
Li: So what's today's word – ?
Muffled shouting from outside the studio and banging on the door.
Li: Eh?
William: What on earth is all of that hullabaloo about?
Shouting and banging stops.
Li: Ah... I think it's stopped.
William: What was it? It sounded like a crowd of people outside the studio!
Li: I don't know. I'd be interested to find out. But I have to say, there is something else that I'm even more curious about...
William: Oh right. What's that?
Li: What was that word you used just now, William? Hulla...?
William: Hullabaloo.
Li: Oh, that's it.
William: Hullabaloo. You spell it H.U.L.L.A.B.A.L.O.O. Hullabaloo. It means a loud noise or commotion.
Li: Hullabaloo (wrong pronunciation).
William: Hullabaloo.
Li: Hullabaloo (correct pronunciation).
William: Exactly, yeah.
Li: Let's hear another example of this word being used.

• I tried to quieten the class down, but there was such a hullabaloo that no-one could hear me!
Li: So in that example, a teacher's class was making such a hullabaloo that no-one could hear her. Is this word used in any other ways, William?
William: Well, the word hullabaloo can imply anger and disapproval. Can you imagine lots of people shouting because they're angry? Have a listen to this example:

• That actor was so angry with the film's director and producer that he refused to do any promotional work. But then when he didn't go to the premiere in L.A., there was such a hullabaloo from his fans that he had to apologise.
Li: So in that example, a film star didn't go to a premiere and there was a hullabaloo from his fans because they were angry with him.
William: And in that situation, 'hullabaloo' doesn't mean lots of loud noise, but maybe some angry blog articles and some harsh words in the press.
Li: William, I must say, 'hullabaloo' is a very strange sounding word! Where does it come from?
William: Well, no-one really knows for sure. But some people think it comes from people going "Hullo! Hullo! Hullo!"
Li: Really? That's very –
Shouting and banging starts again.
Li: Oh, our own hullabaloo has started again!
William: Right. I'm going to see what they want!
Gets up and opens studio door.
William: What's all this noise? We're trying to record a programme here!
Fan 1: Is Yang Li here?
Li: Hello, yes? Who is it?
Fan 1: Yes! She is, she is!
Fan 2: Oh brilliant! Hi Li! Hi!
Fan 3: We're your biggest fans! Can we have your autograph?
Li: Oh well, I...
William: Oh Li, I didn't know that you had a fan club! Well, I think we'd better end the programme there! Goodbye!
Li: Where do you want me to sign? And do you want me to write something special?

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Awesome

Audio (2.3 MB)
Text (96 K)

[h=2]The script from this programme:[/h]

William: Hello, and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William.

Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li…

William: And your task, Yang Li, is to guess today's word, OK?

Yang Li: OK.

William: Awesome. Li, try some of this cake…

Yang Li: A cake? Oh, thanks! That's very nice…

William: Do you like it? Awesome. They're pretty awesome cakes, huh?!

Yang Li: Yes, and I think I know what this week's word is. It's…

William: Hang on Li, try some of this coffee as well – it's really…

Yang Li: Awesome?

William: Exactly - it's really awesome. You got it. So listen to this. Which three adjectives are used in this clip?

Example

This party is awesome. The food is amazing. The wine is excellent.

Yang Li: Awesome, amazing and excellent.

William: That's right. Awesome means excellent or amazing.

Yang Li: Awesome. This word has existed in English for a long time, hasn't it?

William: Yes, and it used to mean awe-inspiring. So awe means great respect or admiration, so something that’s awesome or awe-inspiring makes you feel great respect and admiration.

Yang Li: Full of respect and admiration. But now it just means cool?

William: Exactly, and that’s thanks to the influence of American slang. So the word can now be used to describe almost anything.

Examples

These shoes are awesome.
This is an awesome radio programme.
Wow! You are awesome at singing, mate!

William: And there is one slightly different usage of this word. Listen to this.

Example

A: Are you free to come for hotpot tonight?
B: Yes, I should be.
A: Awesome. That makes four of us!

William: So what does awesome mean in that clip, Li?

Yang Li: It's like when we say 'great' at the beginning of a sentence.

William: Well, that's it, yeah, exactly. Awesome can also be used at the beginning of a sentence to indicate agreement or approval.

Yang Li: Awesome! That's clear now.

William: Awesome. And that's the end of this awesome programme.

Yang Li: William, do you have any cakes left?

William: Er, just one. Do you want to share it, Li?

Yang Li: Awesome. Bye.

William: Bye.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Anorak

Audio (2.6 MB)
Text (16 K)

[h=2]The script from this programme:[/h]Train noise

William: Oh, there goes another train!

Wang Fei: What do you mean, another train? It was a D5900 Class diesel-electric locomotive, the last one in operation.

William:
Erm, ok.

Wang Fei: And due to arrive at 1203 is the Class 170 "Turbostar" British diesel-multiple-unit train from Edinburgh.

William: Great.

Wang Fei: You don't sound very interested.

William: I'm not. You do realise that you are a complete anorak when it comes to trains, Wang Fei.

Train noise

Wang Fei:
An anorak? That's a kind of coat! Yes, I'm wearing an anorak, but I'm not a kind of coat, William, I'm Wang Fei!

William: Yes, well the word anorak is used to describe people who have an obsessive hobby about something that not many people are interested in.

Wang Fei:
I see. You mean a hobby like train spotting?! But I thought everyone liked it?

William:
What's so interesting about standing in the cold, waiting for rare types of train to arrive? The only trains I'm interested in are the ones which get me from A to B.

Examples

He is a total anorak. He always stays in and watches Star Trek.

My friend is a bit of an anorak when it comes to dance music. He knows every DJ and every track, when they were published, how high they got in the charts. I prefer just to dance to it!

Wang Fei: So you really don't like trains?

William: Oh, I don't mind them, Wang Fei, I just don't find them that interesting. And it's so cold in this country that you need to wear that huge anorak while you wait for them, which is where the phrase came from.

Wang Fei:
You mean, people like me, waiting for trains in my big anorak?

William: Yes, exactly - that's it.

Wang Fei: So if this phrase exists, it must mean there are lots of other people like me?

William: Well, you don't see many. Maybe you could try a trainspotting website.

Wang Fei: Hang on. Is that... I think there's someone at the end of the platform in a long coat, with a clipboard… looks like he's waiting for a train!

William: Oh, well go and say hello, then.

Footsteps

Wang Fei:
Hello, are you waiting for…

Anorak:
The Class 170 "Turbostar"…

Wang Fei: British diesel-multiple-unit …

Anorak:
From Edinburgh, due to arrive at 1203…? Yes! And your name is?

Train noise

William: Well, I don't know. Whatever makes you happy! Bye from me.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Two phrases about fatherhood

Audio (2.9 MB)
Text (18 K)

William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm William Kremer.
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li.
William: So this Sunday is Father's Day here in the UK and in many countries around the world.
Yang Li: William, I know you are married but you are not a father yet, right?
William: Yes, that's right.
Yang Li: Well in that case, I don't think you are well qualified to talk about this topic, William!
William: Well, I disagree. All that matters is that we can speak English! So today I thought we could look at a couple of very common phrases relating to fatherhood. Let's listen to this clip of a woman talking to her friend about her son. Try and hear a phrase relating to fatherhood.
Woman: And how's Jonathan?
Woman 2: Good question – I'd like to know the answer! He's ever so quiet and I never know what he's thinking...
Woman: Oh yeah.
Woman 2: Mind you, his dad's exactly the same. Like father, like son.
Yang Li: Like father, like son. So that means that the son is just like the father, is that right?
William: Exactly, yes.
Yang Li: So, William, can you say 'like mother, like daughter'?
William: Well, you could say that but it's not really a phrase in English. 'Like father, like son' is quite a common phrase. And you have to use those exact words, you can't say 'Like his father, like my son' – it has to be 'like father, like son'.
Yang Li: So are you like your father, William?
William: That's a good question. What do you think, Dad?
William's Dad: Oh, that's a difficult question –
Yang Li: Wow, I didn't know – I didn't realise you were here, Mr Kremer! It's very nice to meet you! Very nice to meet you.
William's Dad: Nice to meet you too. I always like to keep an eye on William, make sure he's being a good son. And I think I was a good son to my father, so in that way, I think he is like me.
Li: I think you look quite alike, except that William is much taller than you – he is a giant!
William's Dad: I have to carry a chair with me wherever I go just to keep up with him!
William: Alright, Dad. So, before we finish today, let's have a look at another phrase connected with fatherhood. And this phrase means a long time before you were born. In this clip a woman is talking to her uncle. Try and hear the phrase.
Woman: I didn't know you used to have a motorbike!
Man: Oh yes. I had one for a couple of years... it must have been in the sixties; before you were even a twinkle in your father's eye!
Yang Li: Wow that was quite a long phrase – 'Before you were even a twinkle in your father's eye.'
William: Yeah, or you could say, 'You weren't even a twinkle in your father's eye'. A twinkle is something that shines brightly, like a star. So it's quite a romantic word. Maybe the phrase means: before your father ever looked at your mother in a romantic way; so, long before you were born.
Yang Li: Well, we hope that these English phrases might be useful to you this Sunday. Happy Father's Day!

William: Happy Father's Day!
William's Dad: Oh thanks guys!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Mind-boggling

Audio (2.1 MB)
Text (17 K)

Feifei: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Feifei.

William: And I'm William.

Feifei: William, how much do you know about China?

William:
Er... Not much. Why are you asking?

Feifei: Well, I was flicking through the papers and I came across this quiz.

William: Oh no, not quizzes, I'm rubbish at them.

Feifei: Oh, well. Let's see. Here is the first one – name the capital city of China.

William: That's easy, Beijing.

Feifei: Yes. Which province is famous for its hot and spicy cuisine?

William: Em, I think Sichuan food is quite spicy.

Feifei:
See, you are doing well! How about this one – roughly how many characters are there in the Chinese language?

William:
Oh, loads. 5,000?

Feifei:
No. Try again.

William:
7,000?

Feifei:
Well, actually, roughly 42,000.

William:
Wow, that's amazing. I didn't know it was that many. How can people possibly learn them all? It's totally mind-boggling!

Feifei: What is mind-boggling?

William:
Mind-boggling describes something overwhelming and amazing, like really impressive numbers or facts. It's made up of two words: mind and to boggle. Let's hear an example.

Woman 1: I took my son to the Science Museum on Sunday.
Woman 2: Did you go to the space mission area?
Woman 1: Oh yes. There were rockets, space suits, even parts from a satellite - so many mind-boggling things to see.

Feifei: I really want to learn more about the universe. It’s a fascinating subject.

William:
Well, astronomy, the study of stars, has lots of mind-boggling theories.

Man: I was at a physics workshop last month in Munich. There were seminars on black holes and antimatter. It was totally mind-boggling stuff; I think I might have understood about five percent of what was discussed.

Feifei: Well, I think I now know what mind-boggling means and how to use this phrase. And here is one final mind-boggling question – How many stars are there in the Milky Way?

William:
Er, is it 42,000 again?

Feifei: No, no! Some people say there are over 200 billion stars in the Milky Way but no one knows for sure.

That's all from us on The English We Speak. See you next time.

William: Bye.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
To jump the gun

Audio (2.2 MB)
Text (23 K)

William: Watch out, he is going to jump the gun again…

Yang Li: You don't know that yet, so don't you jump the gun.

Gun shot

William: Look, what did I say? He did jump the gun. It will have to start all over again now.

Yang Li: Yes, you are right. But could you just switch off the TV for two minutes please? It's time for The English We Speak.

William: Oh yes. The English We Speak from bbclearningenglish.com. Hi, I am William Kremer.

Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li. Today's phrase, as you heard at the beginning of the programme is 'jump the gun'.

William:
Yes. It's a phrase that people may use when talking about a race, like a swimming race. What do you think it means?

Woman 1: The 100-metre freestyle was exciting. However, nearly every time someone jumped the gun.
Woman 2: Oh, that's a bit disappointing. But you enjoyed it, did you?
Woman 1: Oh yes, it's my favourite sport.

William: If someone jumps the gun, it means they start too soon, before the starting pistol.

Yang Li: Which can be quite frustrating for everyone including the audience.

William: More often nowadays, people use this phrase when someone says something or does something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.

Yang Li: You mean they are too eager to say something?

William: Yes, kind of. Let's hear some more examples.
Man: He shouted at me before I had time to explain, but later he apologised for jumping the gun.

Man: You know what happened to Dan, my friend?
Woman: Yes how did he do in his job interview?
Man: What happened was that he was so sure that he would get the job that he quit his old job. Unfortunately, he really jumped the gun. He just found out yesterday that he didn't get the job after all.

Yang Li: As you heard when you say or do something too soon then you are jumping the gun.

William:
It can be very embarrassing if you jump the gun. I did it once before but hopefully never again.

Yang Li:
Well, I am too slow to jump the gun, so that's not a problem for me. Is there a phrase for that in English, Will?

William: Well, yes there is but I don't think I'm going to tell you.

Yang Li: Please tell me.

William:
No. No.

Yang Li: Oh, please.

William: No. Maybe next time?

Yang Li: Are you not going to tell me?

William: No I'm not going to tell you.

Yang Li:
Oh, I've this gun and I'm going to gun you down if you don't.

William: No, no, er…

Yang Li:
Are you going to or not?

William: No, no.

Yang Li:
Yes or no?

William:
No…Er…

Gun Shot

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Savvy

Audio
Text (84.1KB)

William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.

Wang Fei: And I'm Wang Fei. William I hope we finish recording quickly today.

William: Oh, why's that?

Wang Fei:
I need to get to the bank before it closes.

William:
Oh I see.

Wang Fei:
Yes, just need to move some money around. I've got to move some money into a high interest account and transfer some into my investment account...

William: Look at you Wang Fei. High-interest accounts and investment accounts. You really are quite money-savvy aren't you?

Wang Fei:
Money what?

William:
Money-savvy.

Wang Fei:
Money-savvy?

William: Yeah. It means you're good with money. You know what you're doing with it, how to invest it, that kind of thing.

Wang Fei:
Well, I guess I am. I do look after my money.

William: I wish I was a bit more money-savvy like you! But I am quite good with technology. You know, you wouldn't need to rush to the bank if you tried online banking.

Wang Fei:
Online banking? Not for me. I just don't really trust it.

William:
Maybe you should try it.

Wang Fei:
No, I just don't feel safe doing that. I'm not very... can I say... technologically savvy?

William:
Yes, you can say technologically savvy or just tech-savvy. Or you might say that you're not very web-savvy, as we're talking about the web, the internet.

• I wouldn't recommend you go down that street after dark. It's just not safe. And you're not very street-savvy to be honest with you.

• A: So what do you think of the new flower shop?
B: It's in a good location, and the owner is really business-savvy. I'm sure it'll be a great success.

Wang Fei:
Money-savvy, tech-savvy...

William: And business-savvy. You can be savvy about a lot of things. So are you going to go to the bank in the end?

Wang Fei: No I think I'll sign up for an online account. Give it a go.

William:
And I might buy those stocks that you were suggesting.

Wang Fei:
Great. And let's hope all our listeners are a bit more slang-savvy after this programme.

William: Bye for now.

Wang Fei:
Bye.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
You've changed your tune

Audio (2.6 MB)
Text (17 K)

Li: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Yang Li.
William: (mouth full) And I'm William, mmf, mmf.
Li: My dear co-presenter William! Don't you know it's rude to speak with your mouth full? Particularly in a BBC audio programme!
William: (smacking lips) Well, I do know that but I've really been enjoying this super jumbo hamburger. Wow, that was so good. I just can't get enough of super jumbo hamburgers recently.
Li: Oh? So what is it about super jumbo hamburgers that you like so much?
William: Well, good question Li. I think it might be the delicious 100% beef burger and how the flavours merge with the sauce, which is made to a carefully-guarded recipe. But then again I like the lovely gherkins and the crisp crunchy lettuce. But also let's not forget the layers of soft yellow cheese. Maybe it's all of those things. Hmmm. I think I could have another actually.
Li: Well Will, all I can say is: you have changed your tune.
William: Hmm... That's an interesting phrase, Li. Shall we make it our phrase of the day?
Li: Sure, why not?
If you change your tune, you change your attitude towards something or someone.
William: It's a slightly critical phrase, but in a jokey sort of way. Let's hear another example:
Girl 1: What do you think about Mark? Don't you think he's really good-looking?
Girl 2: Mark? I thought you hated him?
Girl 1: That was last week. This week, I feel very different...
Girl 2: Wow, you've certainly changed your tune!
Li: Hmmm. I have to say I don't think I change my tune very often.
William: Well, I'm sure that's true but we don't generally use the phrase to talk about ourselves. We tend to always say: "You've changed your tune" or "You've certainly changed your tune." And we say it like this: "You've changed your tune".
Li: OK. And you have certainly changed your tune, William, about super jumbo hamburgers.
William: No... I've always loved those things!
Li: No, trust me, Will. Hang on... Here you go. Two weeks ago you said this: "I hate super jumbo hamburgers. The meat is like low-grade frozen cardboard, the cheese is like plastic and the tomatoes are like rubber. After I eat one I just want to curl up in bed." That's what you said!

William: Oh, right. Well, I guess they must have grown on me.
Li: What a change of tune, from William, the burger hater to William, the burger lover!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Hold your horses

Audio (2.2 MB)
Text (16 K)

William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is William Kremer.
Li: And I'm Li. William, what's our phrase today?
William: Well, hold on a second Li, let me just play you -
Li: No, come on, tell me now – what phrase are we looking at today?
William: Well, we'll come onto that in a minute but I've got some very special FX for you...
Li: More special FX?! And special music? That's not what our people want! They want authentic English phrases, and they want them now! So what's our phrase today?
William: Li, hold your horses!
Li: Eh?
William: Hold your horses. It means: be patient.
Li: Oh... where does this phrase come from, William?
William: Well, apparently it comes from battles in times of war:
FX – Battle re-enactment noise
Man: Hold your horses men!
FX – gunfire, horses whinnying
Li: Wow, Will, your FX this week are really special!
William: Hmmm, I know! In that clip we heard a soldier telling his men to hold their horses before he started firing weapons.
Li: But nowadays, I am guessing, you don't need to be a soldier to use this phrase, right?
William: Exactly, yes. It means: don't rush, be patient. Let's hear a couple of examples:
Man: I've just gone online to order us some new computers. What's our charge code again?
Woman: Ah, well you're going to have to hold your horses! I haven't agreed a budget yet with the management team.
Man 2: I've just spoken to Mark –
Woman 2: Have you indeed? Well don't listen to a word that man says! He's never liked me...
Man 2: Hey, hey hey! Hold your horses. We didn't discuss you at all, as a matter of fact.
Li: So in that first example, the man couldn't order his computers yet because the company hadn't agreed a budget. He had to wait; he had to hold his horses.
William: Hmm. And in the second example it was slightly different. In that clip we heard a woman interrupt the man because she thought she knew what he was going to say.
Li: Ah yes, the man told her to hold her horse and wait for him to finish speaking.
William: Ah, yeah, but Li we never say "Hold your horse" we always say "Hold your horses".
Li: Oh OK, I'll bear it in mind. But, er, Will...?

William: Yeah?
Li: Can you hold this for me please?
Horse whinnying

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Yob

Audio (2.3 MB)
Text (17 K)

Callum: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Callum Robertson.
Li: And I'm Yang Li.
Men: Come 'ere then! Oi! Come on then! Want a fight? Who are ya?!
Li: Oh Callum! Who are all those horrible men that I can hear on my headphones?
Callum: Well, Li, they are yobs.
Li: Yobs?
Callum: Yes, yobs. Yob is our phrase for today. It's an informal word that refers to a man who is loud and rude and possibly rather violent.
Li: Oh, that sounds like you!
Callum: What are you talking about, sounds like me?! What do you mean? Are you asking for a fight?!
Li: No, no, no! But do you see what I mean? You sound like a yob.
Callum: Erm... yes, OK. Sorry about that. Hmm. Anyway, I chose this word because as many people will know the UK recently experienced some violence on the streets of London and other cities. 'Yob' is a word that the British press used to describe the rioters. Let's hear some real headlines from some British newspapers:

• UK riots: 11 councils to evict 'riot yobs'.
  • Ken Clarke blames 'feral' yobs.
  • 600 riot yobs left DNA on windows.
  • Riot yobs filmed attacking cop cars.
  • Riot yobs can't hide.
  • UK riots: young yobs back on streets despite David Cameron's pledge.
Li: Ah, I'm not sure I remember seeing this word yob on the BBC news site.
Callum: Well no. It's a very negative and judgemental word. The BBC tends to avoid this kind of language in its news stories. But this is a piece of British slang that is very common in the UK. And we also sometimes use the word yobbo.
Li: Yobbo. Hmm. But where do all these words come from?
Callum: Well, interestingly, what we have here is an example of backslang. If you read the word yob backwards, what do you get?
Li: Erm... B.O.Y., boy.
Callum: Exactly. And that's what the word used to mean, but now it refers to a rude and violent man, often a young man but not always.
Li: Listen Callum, I'm sorry about earlier. I don't really think you are a yob. You are a gentleman.
Callum: Oh, thanks Li.

Li: But in any case you know if we were to get in a fight I would beat you. So don't you try that again!
Callum: OK.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Heavy

Audio (1.8 MB)
Text (16 K)

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. My name's Neil.
Helen: (Sigh) And I'm Helen.
Neil: Oh Helen, that was a very heavy sigh.
Helen: A heavy sigh? By that, you mean a big sigh?! Well, I suppose it was. It's just I've been trying to lose some weight but my diet is not working.
Neil: So how heavy are you exactly?
Helen: I'm not going to tell you my weight!
Neil: OK but my advice is to cut down on the biscuits, eat more fruit and stick to the diet!
Helen: Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Neil: Sorry, am I getting too heavy?
Helen: Heavy? You mean you're putting on weight too?
Neil: No! Heavy can have another meaning. Used informally, it can mean serious or intense. Have a listen to this:

• Our relationship's getting a bit heavy. I think we need to go out more and have a bit more fun.
Neil: And another informal use of the word can mean difficult.

• That was a heavy lecture! I had trouble understanding it all.
Helen: A heavy lecture – I've been to a few of them!
Neil: Me too. But Helen, we can also use the word 'heavy' in a more formal way to mean 'intense':

• There was such a heavy fog I couldn't see where I was going.
  • The flooding was caused by days of heavy rain.
  • Heavy fighting broke out after the government's announcement.
Helen: So heavy in those examples also means intense, bad or strong. What about a heavy drinker or a heavy smoker? What does that mean?
Neil: Heavy here means to indulge to a great extent.
Helen: Well that's not me – but there is one kind of 'heavy' I do like to indulge in.

Neil: And what's that?
Helen: Heavy metal!
(Turns on heavy metal music)
Neil: (shouting) That's a little heavy on my ears. Turn it down! What a noise!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Sick

Audio (2.2M)
Text (28 K)

[h=2]The script from this programme:[/h]

William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.

Yang Li:
And I'm Yang Li.

William: Li, are you wearing make-up?

Yang Li: Yes, do you like it? It's not too much?

William:
I think you look sick.

Yang Li: What?

William:
Sick!

Yang Li: But I feel fine. I'm perfectly healthy.

William: No, you don't look ill Li, you look sick!

Yang Li: Sorry I just don't get it. I'm not ill!

William: Sorry Li, I should explain. It's our expression for the day. Lots of young people in the UK use the word sick to mean cool or great.

Yang Li: English can be weird can't it? Sick means cool?

William: Yes, it is a bit odd. I know one teacher who was confused by this word when his student used it in a class.

Yang Li: Really? What did they say?

William: Something like this:

• Student: Mr Griffiths!
  • Teacher: Yes?
  • Student: Sir, are you wearing new shoes?
  • Teacher: Yes, I am. Why?
  • Student: Because they are sick!
  • Teacher: Sick?
  • Student: Totally sick, sir.
  • Teacher: Well, young man. As you find them so terrible, how about you give me 100 lines saying… saying…
  • Student: No, no, I like them! Sick means cool!
  • Teacher: First I've heard of it.

Yang Li: Lines. Lines are a form of punishment which teachers used to give students – copying out the same sentence again and again. You never had to write lines, did you William?

William:
Erm... Maybe I won't go into that here!

Yang Li:
So anyway, what do I say if I really am sick?

William: I'm feeling sick. Or I'm feeling ill.

Yang Li: So we can work it out from the context.

William:
Exactly, that's it. Anyway, like I was saying I love the make-up Li. But maybe next time don't wear green eye-shadow.

Yang Li:
Why?

William: It makes you look, erm sick.

Yang Li:
Oh, I give up. Bye.

William:
Bye.

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]Get lost![/h]

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2 MB)

Text (16 KB)

Rob: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak. I'm Rob.

Helen:
And hello, I'm Helen. And today we've decided to come outside for a walk in the beautiful English countryside.

Rob: Mmmm, smell the wonderful fresh air. Isn't it great to be outdoors?

Helen: Oh, well it was…but not now it's raining. Come on Rob, I think we should head back.

Rob: Hold on Helen. Not that way! According to the map, it's this way…

Helen: Rob, you're always wrong. Just follow me but hurry up; we're getting wet.

Rob: Oh, get lost!

Helen: Get lost? We are lost!

Rob:
No Helen – get lost – I mean go away, leave me alone. Don't tell me the way to go.

Helen: That's not a very nice thing to say.

Rob: Well, it's what you can say to someone if they're really annoying you. So go away, get lost!

Helen: OK, if you say so. I'm off. See you back at the car!

Rob: I'll get there first! OK, here are some other examples of using 'get lost':

• I'm tired of hearing about how you know everything. Just get lost!

• Get lost! I'm having a break so don't disturb me.

• You say you climbed Mount Everest on your own?! Get lost, I don't believe you.

Rob:
Mmm, saying get lost is quite impolite so you need to be careful how you say it and who you say it to. Maybe I was a bit rude to Helen. Helen, Helen, come back…I didn't mean to be so rude.

Helen: …well you weren't being very nice. Anyway, I was going to come back and find you.

Rob: And why was that Helen?

Helen: Because I got lost. I needed the map!

Rob:
Ha. Well, here it is. Come on follow me.

Helen: OK Rob. See you next time.

Both: Bye.

Rob: Right, it's definitely this way.

Helen: Are you sure?

Rob: Yes, that's what the map says.

Helen: Rob you've got the map upside down!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Smoothie

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2.3 MB)

Text (15 K)

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.

Li:
And I'm Li. Neil what are you drinking? Whatever it is, it sounds very refreshing.

Neil: Ah yes it is, Li. It's so fruity and refreshing.

Li:
What kind of juice is it?

Neil: Oh it's not juice, it's a smoothie.

Li: A smoothie?

Neil: Yeah, a smoothie. The fruit is blended rather than squeezed.

Li: Oh I see. A smoothie is a fruit drink made from blended fruit rather than squeezed fruit.

Neil: And it sometimes has ice, ice cream or yoghurt in it too. Try it Li.

Li: Oh thank you. Oh it's delicious.

Neil: How would you describe the texture?

Li: Well, it's very thick and… smooth.

Neil: Exactly. And that's where the name comes from.

Li: It's called a smoothie because its texture is smooth.

A: Right, who wants a drink? I fancy a cup of coffee.
B: Yeah but it's way too hot for coffee. Can I have one of those smoothies?
A: Oh that's an idea. I think I'll have one too, if I have enough money.

Neil: Well, it's all gone now.

Li: Oh that's a shame.

Neil: Yes… No more smoothie... Shame…

Li: Oh well.

Neil: (Pause) Li, have you had your hair done? It really suits you.

Li: Oh thanks, Neil.

Neil: No, really. It suits your face. Actually, you're looking great at the moment. I like that outfit.

Li: Oh Neil…

Neil: I'd really love another smoothie, but I've just run out of money.

Li: Don't worry, I'll get you one.

Neil: Oh thanks! I can be such a smoothie sometimes…

Li: Yes you can… Smoothie is not just a word for a drink.

Neil: That's right. It's also an adjective describing a man who can persuade people to do things for him by being charming.

Li: I wondered why he was paying me so many compliments.

Neil: A smoothie for the smoothie, please Li.

Li: OK, OK…

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]Sponger[/h]

Audio (2.4 MB)

Text (17 K)

Li: And I'm Li. Neil, is that a new watch?

Neil: Yes I got it from my parents.

Li: Oh that's nice.

Neil: Did I tell you I'm going on holiday soon?

Li: No, where?

Neil: To Hawaii.

Li: Wow, how can you afford a holiday to Hawaii?

Neil: My in-laws paid for it. We told them it was too expensive but, you know, we just need a holiday.

Li: Hmm… so your in-laws have paid for your holiday too…

Neil: I'm thinking of giving up work actually, Li.

Li: Giving up work? What about the cost of living?

Neil: Oh my wife can work. You know what, Li? I really need to move into a bigger house in a nicer part of London.

Li: But you just said you're going to give up work! How can you afford a new house if you have no job?

Neil: My grandparents will give me some money. They always do.

Li: Neil, there's a word for people like you. You're a sponger!

Neil: A sponger!? How rude!

Example

A: When I was at university I had no money at all. I had to buy second-hand clothes and I could never afford to go out for a meal even though I had a part-time job.
B: Yeah me too, but there were all these other students with cars and designer labels eating in expensive restaurants all paid for by Daddy.
A: What a bunch of spongers.
B: Yeah.

Li: A sponger is a person who gets money, food and other things from other people without paying. Often it's used very negatively to describe people who live off state benefits.

Neil: Just like a sponge.

Li: Yes, a sponge.

Neil: A sponge soaks up the water all around it. A sponger soaks up gifts, food and money without working. And it can also be used as a verb – to sponge off someone.

Li: It's also a verb 'to sponge off someone.' Be careful to use the word 'off' with this verb.

Neil: Whether it's a verb or a noun, it's still not a nice thing to say about someone, Li.

Li: Well I'm sorry to be rude, but it's true – you are a sponger.

Neil: You're right. I'm a sponger but I'm proud of it. Do you fancy taking me out for dinner? There's a fantastic restaurant I've been meaning to go to. It's very expensive, but you can afford it Li.

Li: He's trying to sponge a meal off me! What a sponger…

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]The creeps[/h]

Audio (2.3 MB)

Text (15 K)

[h=2]The script for this programme[/h]Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil (demonic laughter).

Li: And I'm Li. (scream)

Neil: It's Halloween time, so we have a special, scary edition of the programme today (more demonic laughter).

Li: That's right. It wouldn't be Halloween without something scary for you. (More screaming).

Neil: Today we want to give you the creeps!

Li: Give them what?!

Neil: The creeps. To give somebody the creeps.

Li: To give somebody the creeps. This means to make someone feel nervous or scared.

Neil: (More demonic laughter)

Li: Stop it Neil! You're giving me the creeps.

Man: (whispering) What's that noise?
Woman: What noise?
Man: Those footsteps… shh... listen…
Woman: I can't hear anything. Stop it! You're giving me the creeps.

Li: That man thought he could hear footsteps in the house they're in. It made the woman scared. She said 'You're giving me the creeps.'

Neil: What gives you the creeps, Li?

Li: Oh I hate horror films. Some people find them entertaining but they just scare me.

Neil: Yeah, they always give me the creeps too.

Li: What else gives you the creeps, Neil?

Neil: I really, really hate cockroaches. The way they disappear when you turn a light on. And the fact it's so hard to kill them. They just give me the creeps.

Li: Oh no, I don't like cockroaches either..

Neil: Urgh… just thinking about them gives me the creeps.

Li: I'm scared of spiders! They give me the creeps.

Neil: This music gives me the creeps.

Li: Yeah and that laugh gives me the creeps (demonic laughter).

Neil: That scream gives me the creeps (scream).

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]Lairy[/h]

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2.3 MB)
Text (16 K)

Li: And I'm Li. Did you stay much longer last night at the office party?

Neil: Yes I did. After you left we went on to a bar in the City.

Li: Oh sounds good! We had an office party last night. I left early but Neil and a few colleagues went on to a bar in the city of London – the financial district. How was it?

Neil: Actually it was pretty bad. There were all these traders getting drunk and shouting a lot about their cars and expensive clothes and holidays. You know, they were just really lairy.

Li: They were what?

Neil: Lairy.

Li: Lairy. This adjective is used to describe people, usually men, behaving in a loud, excited and slightly aggressive way. So it wasn't much fun?

Neil: No, they made it miserable for everyone else in the place, to be honest.

Li: So the bar was full of drunk and noisy men. They were talking loudly about their expensive things. They sound very lairy. Here's another example of the word.

Example

A: Shall we go shopping in Kensington on Saturday afternoon?
B: I'd love to but I hate getting the Tube to Kensington on a Saturday. It's always full of lairy Chelsea fans on their way to the football.
A: Yes, you're right. It's really scary when they're so drunk and shouting and singing. How about somewhere else?

Neil: Those women don't want to get the Tube near the Chelsea football ground on a Saturday because the fans travelling to the stadium are often drunk and shouting and singing. They're lairy.

Li: Yes, I've been in that situation too. It's not much fun. So, this word 'lairy': is it common?

Neil: I'd say it's quite common, but slang. And you wouldn't often write it. But you'll hear British and Australian people using it; especially in the situations we've talked about.

Li: Anything else I need to know?

Neil: Yes, you should use the word in combination with 'blokes'. This is British slang meaning 'men'.

Li: Lairy blokes.

Neil: That's right. That's all from us, but we'll leave you with the sound of lairy blokes watching football.

Li: Bye!

(Angry football crowd)

بیتا24

عضو جدید
علاقه زیادی ب زبان دارم ولی نمیدونم چطوری میشه توش پیشرفت داشت

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار

سلام

اول ببینید در چه سطحی هستید بعد شروع کنید به یادگیری
همچنین هدفتون از یادگیری زبان خیلی مهمه چون بهتون انگیزه میده
حالا یا خودتون یا برید کلاس

saber13

عضو جدید
سلام دوست عزیز
1- تمرین
2-تمرین
3-تمرین
4-تمرین
ذره ای تو این قضیه شک نکن ولی نتیجه هم فوق العاده لذتبخش خواهد بود تو این هم شک نکن.
موفق باشی

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]Head over heels[/h]

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2.5 MB)

Text (17 K)

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil and … I am waiting for Li.

Li: Ouch. And I'm Li, here on the floor. I went head over heels but…but I'm ready to present the programme, Neil.

Neil: Are you okay, Li? Let me help you up.

Li: Thank you. I appreciate you helping me to stand up.

Neil: I am sorry that you fell over like that. You sounded so cheerful… so you are head over heels Li? Who is the lucky guy?

Li: The lucky guy? What do you mean, Neil?

Neil: Well, the one you are head over heels in love with. Is it anyone I know?

Li: Anyone you know? I don't know what you are talking about, Neil. I have just fallen flat on my face…

Neil: You said that you are head over heels. This is an expression we use in English to say that you had such a dramatic fall that your head was over your feet and we use it when we want to say that someone fell madly in love.

Li: Oh, that's when we say that someone has fallen head over heels for another person.

Neil: You can also imagine you are a gymnast doing somersaults or cartwheels. Your head goes literally over your heels.

Li: Yeah…It makes sense: when you are in love it might mean that you are so happy that you feel like jumping around.

Examples

They met at a dinner party and fell head over heels for each other.
He is gorgeous! I am head over heels in love with him!
She is a hopeless romantic: she is always head over heels in love with somebody.

Neil: So, who is it Li? Who have you fallen head over heels in love with? I promise I won't tell a soul.

Li: Neil, I came here very excited to present a programme with you but I must say that now my head hurts…

Neil: Your head hurts?

Li: … my feet are sore…

Neil: Your feet are sore? What's been going on?

Li: … but I am certainly not in love with this bin that made me fall over.

Neil: Oh… Okay. So no juicy gossip for us today. Well, we'd better say goodbye.

Li: No juicy gossip! And let's finish the programme because I'd better go and have an aspirin. Bye!

me.fatima

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز

بنظر من شما اول باید بری یه موسسه خوب ثبت نام کنی و تعیین سطح بدی ( یه موسسه که بیشتر روی صحبت کردن وقت میذاره)
بعد کلاساش رو شرکت کنی و حداقل دوره elementary رو تموم کنی... ( که زیاد طول نمیکشه حداکثر یک سال )
اون وقت بقیه مراحل دستت میاد...

ولی یه کتاب خوب بهت معرفی میکنم برای افزایش واژ ه های انگلیسی : کتاب 504

برای من که این کتاب فوق العاده بود.

برای بهتر شدن شنیداری انگلیسی هم باید فیلم و یا نوارهای انگلیسی گوش کنی :
یه سایت خوب برای این کار : eslpod.com

که این هم برای من فوق العادست و مکالمه ها رو دانلود میکم و گوش میدم.

باز هم اگه سوالی داشتید بپرسید.

AMIR-ALI

عضو جدید
بچه ها
معلم خصوصی توصیه میکنید ؟ یا کلاس ؟
البته من به elementary چند سال پیش گذروندم

me.fatima

عضو جدید
کاربر ممتاز
بچه ها
معلم خصوصی توصیه میکنید ؟ یا کلاس ؟
البته من به elementary چند سال پیش گذروندم

بنظر من کلاس بهتره. چون تو کلاس از انگلیسی حرف زدن بچه ها خیلی چیزها یاد میگیرید. ولی تو کلاس خصوصی فقط خودتون هستید و معلم.
موسسه ای هم ثبت نام کنید که تو کلاس همه رو مجبور کنند انگلیسی صحبت کنند . اینجوری خیلی زود حرف زدن یاد میگیرید .
موفق باشید

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Sinking Feeling

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (3.1 MB)

Text (18 K)

Li: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Li.

Neil: And I am Neil. Li, let me tell you about this strange dream I had yesterday… we weren't here. We were somewhere else, in another country…

(Sound of dreamy music)

Neil: We were lucky to find these cheap tickets and fly here to the United States, weren't we? This is a wonderful place, Li.

Li: Yes, this is a wonderful place!

Neil: …where we found a boat and decided to sail on this river! Blue sky, blue water… Don't you feel at one with nature, Li?

Li: Of course, yes, I do feel in harmony with nature. But we've been sailing for a while now and I'm not sure where we are… Where are we, Neil?

Neil: I'm not sure either. What I can say is that… this boat is rocking a lot, isn't it? …

Li: Yes, but it must be normal.

Neil: … and I must confess I'm not a very strong swimmer…

Li: Don't think about it Neil, just admire the view.

Neil: But I have a sinking feeling!

Li: A sinking feeling Neil?! What's going on? Are your feet wet? Can you see water coming into the boat?

Neil: No, there's no water in the boat. Having a sinking feeling is what you say in English when you realise something bad is happening or about to happen.

Examples
Man 1: I bought shares in that company but the stock market has just crashed! I have a sinking feeling that I've lost all my money!
Woman: The meal in this restaurant was very tasty but I have a sinking feeling that I've forgotten my wallet at home and I don't have money to pay the bill!
Man 2: Oh the main player in the team has just got a red card! I've a sinking feeling that my team is going to lose this match!

Li:
So, what is this sinking feeling that you have, Neil? If it's not the boat, what is it?

Neil: Well, while we were admiring the view a few minutes ago I saw a sign over there on the bank of the river that said: Niagara Falls. I've heard this name somewhere and I don't think it's good. I don't remember why but…

Li:
What?! Niagara Falls! Did you say that? It has a vertical drop of some 50 metres, Neil! Do you know that?

Neil:
Yes, now I remember! I saw it in a movie! I have a sinking feeling! Grab this life jacket, Li!

Li:
Thank you. Now I have a sinking feeling too!

Neil:
Here we goooooooooooooooo!

Li: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

(Sound of alarm clock)

Neil: And that's when I woke up, Li.

Li: That's good, Neil. But now I have a sinking feeling.

Neil: Why is that?

Li:
We have been so distracted chatting about your dream that we've missed our train and we will be late for work! Let's run and get a taxi. Bye!

Neil:
Bye!

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
Work for peanuts

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (3.2 MB)

Text (19 K)

Li: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Li. And here with me is Neil. Hi Neil!

Neil: Hi Li! But before we start the programme I've got some good news for you. I've just fixed your bike tyres as I promised! It wasn't easy to find the punctures on them but I managed to do it and the bike, I have to say, is as good as new!

Li: Oh, great! I am so happy, Neil! You know, I use the bicycle every day. I ride it when I come to work and when I go home. You know, I took it to the mechanic last week to have it fixed and he didn't do it properly. Thank you! You are a star!

Neil: It wasn't easy but I am glad to have been of service. Well, you told me that you'd pay me for the work so now would be a good time to do that because actually I am a bit short of cash at the moment, you know.

Li: Oh, you want to receive some payment? Yes, I remember that I promised you'd get paid. That's fair. Okay. Here you are!

Neil: What are these?

Li: Your payment, Neil.

Neil: Peanuts?!

Li: Yes, Neil. You keep saying that there are people who work for peanuts!

Neil: Yes I have said that on occasions but it's got nothing to do with food! To work for peanuts is an expression in English that means to work for a very small payment.

Li: Now you tell me, Neil! So people are not really paid in peanuts, are they?

Neil:
No, they are not! Just think. A peanut is something small and cheap.

Woman 1: My cousin is a catwalk model and she travels all over the world!
Woman 2: She must be a millionaire!
Woman 1: Yes, she is! But before she become famous she used to work for peanuts! She could hardly buy a lipstick.
………
Man: I am going to ask for a pay rise. I am tired of working for peanuts!

Li: Oh, I am sorry, Neil, when you said that some people work for peanuts I thought you wanted to be paid in peanuts!

Neil: That's alright Li. But now that you know that I don't work for peanuts will you give me some money?

Li:
Yes, of course I will. I left my wallet in my drawer in the office but as soon as we finish this programme I'll pay you with cash. So give me back my peanuts then.

Neil: (sound of chewing)

Li: Neil, the peanuts! I am hungry!

Neil: I am hungry too and these peanuts taste great!

Li: I know they do. You know, I bought them in the new grocery shop around the corner.

Neil: Don't worry, Li. As soon as you pay me we can go down there and I'll buy you some of these delicious peanuts myself.

Li:
Okay. I don't work for peanuts either but I am glad to eat some. Let's go then.

Neil: (sound of monkey) I want more peanuts! (sound of monkey)

Li: So do I, Neil, but why are you making this odd noise? You sound like a monkey!

Neil: Well, you know what they say: if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Li: Okay, I got the message. Let's go. Bye!

Neil: (monkey noises)

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]Cheesy[/h]

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2.1 MB)

Text (19K)

Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak I'm Neil and with me today is Li.

Li: Hi there I'm Li. Today's word is 'cheesy' and look here Neil, I've got something cheesy for you!

Neil: Oh cheese crackers! Yummy… don't you like them?

Li: No I find them too cheesy. As I don't eat cheese, I find the flavour a bit too strong.

Neil: I like cheese and I love all cheesy food. (Short pause) but I don't like this music you're playing… it's too cheesy.

Li: Too cheesy? Do you mean the music is no good? It's Christmas…

Neil: Well it's all right for this time of the year and it goes with the festive mood. But generally speaking it's too predicable, cheap and cheerful. Let's listen to a couple of examples:

A: Would you like to go to the pantomime next week, thought it'd be fun.
B: Em… I know children love it but I find it a bit too cheesy. I used to love it as a kid.

A: Hi everyone I am organising our Christmas dinner. How about going back to The Cheshire Cheese pub?
B: The food was excellent, but you know what? The music there was a bit too cheesy,
A: Cheesy? Of course. Maybe that's why the pub is called ' The Cheshire Cheese'.

Li: The second speaker there came across as a bit snobbish, don't you think?

Neil: Yes the word does have a slightly negative connotation, something too superficial and simple and …

Li: Not deep and sophisticated?

Neil:
No.

Li: I see. Remember what you said about the music I’m playing? So you mean my taste in music is not very sophisticated?

Neil: No, don't get me wrong. It's only that one particular piece because I've heard it so many times. Well I must say that your taste in clothes is fabulous. (Pause to get a closer look) Is this a new coat? Never seen it before?

Li: Yes?

Neil: I think the bright colours suit you really well, your face is lit up and you look very… attractive… and… charming… and….

Li: Oh, stop it Neil. I never knew you can be so cheesy! Come on, please have some cheese crackers and that'll stop your cheesy compliments…

Neil:
Li, you're blushing!

Li:
Bye for now.

Neil:
Bye.​

Persia1

مدیر تالار زبان انگلیسی
مدیر تالار
[h=1]All the trimmings[/h]

[h=2]Downloads[/h]

To take away:

Audio (2.5 MB)
Text (19 K)

Rob: Hello! I'm Rob. And it's Christmas!
Helen: Hello Rob!
Rob: Hello Helen! Happy Christmas!
Helen: Happy Christmas!
Rob: Come in, come in!
Helen: Thank you.
Helen: Wowwwwwwwwww!
Rob: So, what do you think?
Helen: That's amazing.... so many decorations - and what a beautiful Christmas tree! You must have spent ages doing this! It's beautiful!

Rob: Well I do like to do Christmas with all the trimmings!

Helen: All the trimmings? I don't understand.

Rob: All the trimmings – it means all the extra things that traditionally come with something to make it more special.

Helen: I see. Like all these decorations?
Rob: Yes. In my family, we have always had Christmas with all the trimmings, so we have a Christmas tree, decorations, gifts, Christmas songs, silly Christmas games and, most importantly, Christmas lunch. Now, come this way!

Helen:
Roast turkey for lunch!

Rob: Now that is a roast turkey with all the trimmings! Not only is it a turkey, but we're eating it with all the things you traditionally eat with Christmas roast turkey: cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, gravy, stuffing, carrots-

Helen:
Mmm, I'm very hungry now!

Rob:
All the trimmings!

Helen:
I think I understand what 'all the trimmings' means now.

Rob: It's an expression usually used with food, especially at Christmas and for the big roast dinners that we like to eat here in Britain. I adore Sunday lunch with all the trimmings: roast meat, along with lots of vegetables and sauces and other traditional accompaniments. Mmmmm....

Helen: Yummy!

Rob: But you can also use this expression in other situations:

Examples:

• When I get married, I want a perfect wedding with all the trimmings.
  • Stay in our beach-side hotel, where you will enjoy a luxury holiday with all the trimmings.

Rob:
Anyway, enough talk! Let's eat!

Helen:
Delicious. Thank you for inviting me.

Rob: It's a pleasure, Helen!

Helen:
I would like you to join me for the next Chinese New Year.

Rob:
Wow! Thank you!

Helen:
There'll be fish, dumplings, lanterns, dragons and firecrackers - all the trimmings.

Rob:
Well cheers to that and Happy Christmas – with all the trimmings!

Helen: Happy Christmas!

بالا